RULES OF PLAY
* Rules in RED represent recent changes, since 2016 *
1. BALL OUT OF BOUNDS: All balls out of bounds restarted via indirect kick-ins.
2. THE GOALKEEPER: One designated goalkeeper allowed differentiated by either jersey top or armband. Hands can only be used within "goal area" (goal area will be marked as the basketball 3-point line or an arch around the goal).
All distribution must be rolling, throwing, or ball on the floor (NO PUNTING). Ball may not be distributed directly over the half-line without touching the GK's side of the court first.
GK PASS BACK RULE 13U-19U: No pass back allowed to the GK during play (result of pass back to GK is indirect free kick)
GK PASS BACK RULE 6U-12U: Pass back to the GK will not be called as a violation.
3. ONLY BALL ALLOWED FOR GAME PLAY IS FUTSAL BALL. NO OTHER BALLS ALLOWED ON THE COURT (even for warm-up). LEAGUE PROVIDES GAME BALL.
4. TACKLING/SLIDE TACKLING: No slide tackling. No "tackling". No sliding (excpetion will be GK's who are diving, or have slid due to court surface traction).
5. CLEARANCES: No "clearing" of the soccer ball allowed. At referee’s discretion this is an indirect free kick. All plays on the ball must be "purposed" soccer movements.
6. SCORING: Goals can only be scored within the attacking half of the court (no shooting in your defensive half).
7. SUBBING: Substitutions allowed "on the fly" and during the run of play as long as the exiting player has clearly exited the new player may enter.
8. GAME LENGTHS: U9 and above: Games will run 3 periods of 12 minutes. Each team is awarded one timeout of 60 seconds per match. U8 and below: Games will run 3 periods of 10 minutes.
9. POINTS: League standings will be based on following point system:
WIN = 10 points
DRAW = 5 points
LOSS = 0 points
GOALS = 1 point per goal maximum 7
10. RESTARTS: All restarts, goalkicks, corner kicks, free-kicks (direct or indirect) will require 4 yards of space granted by the defending team. Penalty Kicks are taken from the free-throw line (all players must be outside the goal area, the 3-point arch) and are defended by a Goalkeeper.
11. TACKLING RULE: All tackling must be "clean" without contact. Body checking, shoulder charging, follow through on tackles is not permitted in Futsal. If contact is buffered by the ball this will be allowed, but excessive or forceful follow through even if the ball is the buffer between contact will not be allowed.
12. NUMBER OF PLAYERS: Each team will have 5 players on the court (this includes one designated GK).
13. EQUIPMENT: Shinguards are required. Only rubber soled "flats" will be allowed to be worn on the court.
14. CAUTIONS: If a player receives two cautions in a period that player will be required to serve a 60 second suspension in the "penalty box". During this time the team will play a "man down" and the penalized player can return immediately upon expiration of the 60 second penalty or upon a goal by the opposing team.
15. REFEREE DISCRETION/AUTHORITIY: Referee’s discretion and judgement will be used to insure flowing game play. Any situations not called for by these rules will be administrated by the referee in the course of game play and referee’s decisions and discernment is final.
16. Game Times:
GAME TIMES 11U-19U: 2 x 18 minute periods (no clock stoppage)
GAME TIMES 9U-10U: 2 x 16 minute periods (no clock stoppage)
GAME TIMES 6U-10U: 3 x 10 minute periods (no clock stoppage)